Gamma Phi Beta Delta Psi Chapter History
The Delta Psi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta was established at UCSB in 1983. A spring colonization rush was held and the chapter members began preparing for Fall Rush. Meetings were held in classrooms on campus. In August, the 38 members moved into the first Gamma Phi Beta house on Segovia, now occupied by a fraternity.
Members lived in small rooms which had kitchenettes and furniture needed to be removed from the living room in order to hold meetings. Monday night dinners were catered by the Food Committee.
In 1984 International Gamma Phi Beta purchased a 20 unit apartment building located at 890 Camino Pescadero. With many modifications over the years, the chapter now houses 51 members and 3 or 4 members live in each suite. The house's accomodations include a newly renovated outdoor central patio with a fountain, tables, and lounges for tanning in the warm Santa Barbara sun. Surrounded by flowers, the patio is a central location for members to meet up before events, studying, or just lounge around. The house also has a beautifully furnished chapter room for studying, meetings, and special events
Gamma Phi Beta International History
Helen M. Dodge, Frances E. Haven, E. Adeline Curtis, and Mary A. Bingham founded Gamma Phi Beta on November 11, 1874, at Syracuse, New York. They were imaginative, courageous risk takers who cooperated unselfishly as they worked to achieve the same ideals Gamma Phi Beta emphasizes today. Today, Gamma Phi Beta is an international sorority with more than 128 collegiate chapters in the United States and Canada and nearly 200,000 collegiate members world wide. Our international headquarters is located in Englewood, Colorado and is owned by the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority.
Colleges and universities admitted few women students in the 1870s. In fact, administrators and faculty members gave women a rather reluctant welcome. They argued women had inferior minds and could not master mathematics and the classics. In this controversy, Dr. E. O. Haven, Syracuse University chancellor and former president of the University of Michigan, and Northwestern University, maintained that women should receive the advantages of higher education. He enrolled his daughter, Frances, at Syracuse, which in 1874 had approximately 200 students and 10 faculty members.
Frances asked three friends to assist her in organizing a society. They sought the advice and help of Dr., Haven, their brothers, the faculty and members of two existing fraternities. The minutes of their first meeting on November 11, 1874 state: "Miss Dodge was appointed to draft a Constitution." Frances Haven and Helen Dodge agreed to ask Dr. Haven for a suitable name and motto. The Founders met again on November 16 for further decisions as recorded in the minutes: "The merits of the six mottoes suggested by Chancellor Haven were discussed, and the motto of Gamma Phi Beta unanimously accepted." They agreed on a badge design for which they had sought the help of Charles M. Cobb and Charles M. Moss, Frances' future husband. Helen's brother, a divinity student, suggested the Hebrew word. The jeweler delivered the first badges on December 16, 1874. After the installation of Beta chapter at the University of Michigan in 1882, Syracuse faculty member Dr. Frank Smalley coined the word sorority especially for Gamma Phi beta. It has been used ever since.